By Pattie Donham
- Project Time: 1.5 hrs
- Skill Level: 1 2 3 4 5
- View Larger Project Image
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Primer - Ruddy Brown (#51317)
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint - Georgia Clay (#53531)
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint - Black (#51602)
- Decorative Leaf Platter or Project of your choice
- Spray bottle of water
- Disposable rubber gloves
- When working with unfinished wood, prepare your surface by sanding smooth and wiping clean with a tack cloth. Apply a primer to seal the surface.
- When working with bare metal, be sure surface is free of rust and oil. Apply a primer to seal the surface.
- When working with plastic, glass or ceramic, lightly sand surface with fine grain sandpaper and wipe clean with a tack cloth. This will help the paint to adhere better to these smooth surfaces. Apply a primer to further improve adhesion.
- Place platter on newspaper to protect work area.
- Spray 1 coat of Ruddy Brown Primer on platter front, back and sides, following manufacturer's instructions. Let dry.
- Spray entire platter with Georgia Clay, following manufacturer's instructions. Let dry.
- Spray water over entire platter.
- Spray a light mist of Flat Black over water to cause spots and imperfections similar to rust. Let dry thoroughly.
- For added protection of your finished project, spray several light coats of Krylon® Matte Finish or Satin Finish as a final step. For projects that will be used outdoors or near a window, use Krylon® UV-Resistant Matte Finish.
Ideas to Inspire
Use this same technique to paint:
- mail boxes
- kitchen canisters
- coat racks
- watering cans
- shelves or file cabinets.