By Pattie Donham
- Project Time: 1.5 hrs
- Skill Level: 1 2 3 4 5
- View Larger Project Image
- Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Paint - Satin Black (#51613)
- Krylon General Purpose Metallic - your choice of gold, silver, or copper
- Architectural Accent or Project of your choice
- Disposable rubber gloves
- Disposable plastic tub
- Disposable cloth rag (a heavy sock works fine)
- When working with unfinished wood, prepare your surface by sanding smooth and wiping clean with a tack cloth. Apply a primer to seal the surface.
- When working with bare metal, be sure surface is free of rust and oil. Apply a primer to seal the surface.
- When working with plastic, glass or ceramic, lightly sand surface with fine grain sandpaper and wipe clean with a tack cloth. This will help the paint to adhere better to these smooth surfaces. Apply a primer to further improve adhesion.
- Place project on newspaper to protect work area.
- Spray two coats of Semi-Flat Black on entire project, letting dry between coats.
- Wearing rubber gloves, spray Metallic into disposable plastic tub to form a puddle.
- Dab rag into puddle of paint and apply to project in a rubbing motion to highlight raised surfaces of project, working a small area at a time. Keep repeating the technique until project is completely antiqued.
- To soften the look, mist project with Semi-Flat Black. Let dry thoroughly.
- For added protection of your finished project, spray several light coats of Krylon® Crystal Clear or Satin Finish as a final step. For projects that will be used outdoors or near a window, use Krylon® UV-Resistant Clear.
Ideas to Inspire
Use this same technique to paint:
- accent tables
- watering cans
- coat racks
- drawer handles
- baker's rack