- Krylon Looking Glass®- Mirror Like Paint - Mirror Finish (#9033)
- Krylon Easy-Tack™ Repositionable Adhesive - Easy-Tack™ Repositionable Adhesive (#7020)
- Krylon Brushed Metallic - your choice of color
- Krylon Glitter Spray- your choice of color
- Krylon Leafing Pens - your choice of color
- Paper punches: various geometric shapes
- Clear glass votive candleholders
- Note: Choose Brushed Metallic, Glitter and Leafing colors based on the color scheme you’d like to achieve. See Ideas to Inspire at end of instructions for which paints were used on each of the votives in the photo.
- Craft knife
- Freezer paper
- Low-tack masking tape
- Cardboard (or similar weight scrap material to create template)
Using the votive holder opening as a template, trace circle onto center of cardboard; cut out circle with a craft knife. This will be used to mask outside of votive while spraying only the inside.
Lay template over opening of votive holder and tack in place with masking tape on the underside of template and the outside of the glass.
Spray inside of votive holders with Looking Glass paint. To avoid runs and drips when spraying the small openings, spray very quick bursts by tapping the spray tip lightly and briefly while rotating the votive holder quickly at the same time. Be sure not to spray too closely to the votive holder, and change the angle of the votive holder often so that the inside can be completely covered. Let dry one minute between each coat. Continue spraying and turning, applying several layers of paint until the inside is completely covered and the outside of the glass appears mirror-like and opaque. Let dry completely.
Spray inside of votives with Brushed Metallic paint, adding additional coats as needed and according to manufacturer’s instructions. Let dry completely and remove cardboard and tape. Designer Tip: for smooth even coverage, place votive on center of a turntable (i.e. Lazy Susan) and spin slowly as you spray very light coats of paint until desired coverage is acquired.
Embellish outside of votives by applying stencils or masking tape and spraying to coordinate with the inside Brushed Metallic paint. Let dry completely. Carefully remove tape and stencils. Freehand designs may be drawn using Leafing Pens. Let dry. Designer Tip: to create your own stencils, use paper punches or a craft knife to cut shapes from non-absorbent freezer paper, spray reverse side with Repositionable Adhesive and adhere to outside of votive; spray with light coats of Brushed Metallic paints. Strips of masking tape can also be used to create geometric shapes and interesting designs.
Finish top edges of votives with coordinating Leafing Pens, and spray lightly with Glitter Spray, if desired.
Ideas to Inspire
- Swirls: Inside painted with Brushed Metallic Sparkling Canyon. Top edge of votive and freehand swirls painted with Red Shimmer Leafing Pen.
- Stripes: Masking tape used to create vertical stripes before spraying outside of votive. Inside and outside painted with Brushed Metallic Sesame Shimmer. Top edge of votive painted with Silver Leafing Pen.
- Stars: Stars punched out of freezer paper, sprayed with Easy-Tack and adhered to votive before spraying outside of votive. Inside and outside painted with Brushed Metallic Sesame Shimmer. Outside sprayed with Shimmering Silver Glitter Spray. Top edge of votive painted with Silver Leafing Pen.
- Dots: Circles punched out of freezer paper, sprayed with Easy-Tack and adhered to votive before spraying outside of votive. Inside and outside painted with Brushed Metallic Champagne Nouveau. Outside sprayed with Glistening Gold Glitter Spray. Top edge of votive painted with 18 KT Gold Leafing Pen.
- Checks: Masking tape used to create horizontal and vertical stripes before spraying outside of votive. Inside and outside painted with Brushed Metallic Sparkling Canyon. Top edge of votive painted with Copper Leafing Pen.